Steve Sommers is special counsel with Sweetbaum Sands Anderson PC and has been in the full time practice of law since 1978 with a concentration in real estate, financing and corporate transactions.
Mr. Sommers is an experienced transactional attorney with a highly successful history of providing legal counsel to corporations, bank and other entities in diverse matters including entity formation and capital structuring, mergers and acquisitions, real estate development and financing. He brings and extraordinary combination of experience, legal acumen and congenial negotiating skills to engineer transactions and legal issues to a successful conclusion. Mr. Sommers also has extensive experience in the redevelopment of contaminated brownfield sites including environmental liability risk transfers.
In the area of real estate Mr. Sommers has provided representation to national and local developers, investors and private equity funds with respect to real estate development, acquisitions, dispositions and financings. He has considerable experience in representing brownfield redevelopers in the acquisition, redevelopment, financing and disposition of contaminated sites across the country and in Canada. The subject projects include land, office, commercial, industrial, mixed use and multifamily projects.
In finance, Mr. Sommers has provided counsel to banks, private lenders and borrowers in a wide array of corporate, real estate and structured financings. Lender representation includes the financing of several Colorado ski resorts, corporate/commercial financings, equipment financings, bond financings and bank representation for the origination and operation of a portfolio of mortgage warehouse lines of credit over a 10 year period.
In the corporate field, Mr. Sommers has served as corporate counsel with respect to a number of merger and acquisition transactions, corporate governance and formation matters and the structuring of corporate, partnership and limited liability companies.
Practice Areas Include:
- real estate acquisitions and dispositions
- real estate and commercial lending
- project development including land use
- brownfields redevelopment
- entity formation and capital structuring
- project finance
- structured finance
- land development
- office, commercial and industrial projects
- multifamily projects
- ski resorts
- renewable energy projects
Representative Matters Include:
- Real Estate
- acquisition, corporate structuring, financing and development of Dairy Block hotel, office and retail development in historic LoDo district in Denver, Colorado
- acquisition, corporate structuring and development of 402 acre brownfield site in Newport Beach, California, to be developed into a project consisting of 850 residential units, 50,000 square feet of commercial space and a boutique hotel
- acquisition, corporate structuring and financing of a 65 acre waterfront brownfield property in Richmond, California to be developed into 1,000 residential units and 200,000 square feet of commercial space
- acquisition, financing and disposition of a 6.5 acre brownfield site in downtown San Francisco, developed into a mixed use development of 400 residential units and 50,000 square feet of commercial space
- acquisition, financing and development of 230 acre former automobile manufacturing plant in Montreal, Canada to be developed into a mixed use project of 1,000,000 square feet of office and retail space and 1,400 residential units
- acquisition, financing and re-entitlement of 55 acre former Gates Factory site in Denver, Colorado, to be developed into 1,000,000 square feet of office, industrial and retail space and 4,000 residential units
- acquisition, financing and development of 50 acre site in Brighton, Colorado, developed into a regional medical campus consisting of a community hospital and medical office building, with additional space for a second medical office building and 2 congregate care facilities
- lender representation in financing of Crested Butte, Telluride and Steamboat Springs ski resorts
- lender representation for an $800,000,000 portfolio of mortgage warehouse lines of credit
- borrower representation in securitization of levered lease portfolio involving $1 billion in cash flows
- borrower representation in a $50 million securitized revolving credit facility
- Municipal Finance
- $400 million City and County of Denver Airport System Revenue Bonds, Series 1991A
- $700 million City and County of Denver Airport System Revenue Bonds, Series 1990A
- $720 million Arapahoe County, Colorado Capital Improvement Trust Fund Highway Revenue Bonds (e-470 Project) Series 1986A through Series 1986M
- University of Colorado School of Law, J.D.
- Editor, University of Colorado Law Review
- Publication - Note - "International Abduction of Criminal Defendants," 47 COLO. L. REV. 489
- Bachelor of Arts, Magna Cum Laude - Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
- Majors: Philosophy, Psychology and Finance
- Member: Honor's College
Distinctions and Publications:
- Best Lawyers in America - 2013-2016
- Colorado Super Lawyers - All years of publication
- Martindale Hubbell - Highest rating
- Who's Who in American Law
- Real Estate Section Editor - The Colorado Lawyer, 2003-2006
- Publication: "Acquiring and Disposing of Environmentally Contaminated Real Estate," 34 COLO. LAW 3 (2005)
Mr. Sommers has served as a volunteer and on the boards of directors of several nonprofit organizations.