Katherine Karamalegos Kust is a Shareholder and joined Sweetbaum Sands Anderson PC in July of 2011. Over the past ten years, Ms. Kust has focused her practice in the areas of commercial and civil litigation, real estate litigation and construction defect. She also has a strong appellate practice, having briefed dozens of appeals to the Colorado Court of Appeals and Colorado Supreme Court. Ms. Kust has extensive experience in all stages of litigation, including participation in both Federal and State jury and bench trials as well as mediating dozens of civil and commercial matters. Ms. Kust received her J.D. from Golden Gate University School of Law in San Francisco, California with a specialization and honorary recognition in the field of Intellectual Property, where she was selected as a member of the Law Review. She also enjoyed taking on an active role in student government as Treasurer of the Student Bar Association.
Admitted to Practice:
- California, 2002
- Colorado, 2003
- United States District Court, District of Colorado, 2003
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 2003
- Golden Gate University School of Law, J.D., 2002
- Intellectual Property Specialization (with distinction)
- University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, B.A., 1998
Memberships and Professional Experience:
- American Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Denver Chamber of Commerce
- Attorney, Fleishman & Shapiro, P.C., October, 2002 – November, 2010
- District Attorney’s Office, San Francisco, CA – Preliminary Hearing Division, Intern, January, 2002 – June, 2002
- Mental Health America of Colorado, Board of Directors, 2008 - present
- Board Secretary, January 2009 – December 2010
- Development Committee, January 2009 – December 2010
- Executive Committee, January 2009 – December 2010
- Public Policy Committee Chair, January 2010 – December 2010
- Member, January 2011 – present
- Ricks Center for Gifted Children, University of Denver
- Member, Ricks Center Association, Board of Directors, 2012 – present
- Colorado Soccer Association, 2016 – present
- Elected as a member of the Board of Directors
- Chair of the Risk Management Committee
Publications, Speeches, and Expert Opinions:
- 2013, Speaker on "Ethical Considerations in Landlord - Tenant Law" at CLE seminar on Commercial and Residential Landlord Tenant Law sponsored by Sterling Education Services.
- 2012, Co-author (with Geoffrey P. Anderson) “Actions Concerning Real Estate --Foreclosing Mortgages and Other Liens Under Rule 105,” Chapter 75, West’s Colorado Practice Series, Methods of Practice, Krendl.
- Has collaborated on analysis and preparation of expert witness reports in cases involving the standards of care required for attorneys and reasonableness of attorney fees including:
- Wyco Equities, Inc., et al. v. Gelman & Norberg, LLC, et al., Arapahoe County District Court, Case No. 2011CV557. Collaborated with Alan D. Sweetbaum on analysis and preparation of expert report, 2012.
- Mark Keep and Keep Construction vs. Robert L. Sperberg, Esq. and Sperberg & Associates, P.C., Eagle County District Court, Case No. 2010CV1032. Collaborated with Alan D. Sweetbaum on analysis and preparation of expert report, 2011.
- The Holt Group, LLC v. Kellum, et al., Denver County District Court, Case No. 05CV3541. Collaborated with A. Craig Fleishman on analysis and preparation of expert report, 2006.