CAROLYN ABRAHAMS NAMED AS ONE OF COLORADO'S TOP WOMEN ATTORNEYS FOR 2016 BY LAW WEEK OF COLORADO.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE...
Carolyn Abrahams is a Shareholder with the law firm of Sweetbaum Sands Anderson PC and has been regularly practicing law since 1983, with a concentration in the areas of real estate and commercial transactions.
Practice Areas include,
- real estate acquisitions and dispositions;
- development, zoning and land use;
- loans and financing transactions;
- commercial leasing;
- commercial and residential property management;
- real estate brokerage;
- construction agreements;
- LLC and entity formation; and
- commercial asset based transactions.
Transactions involve land, office, retail, restaurant and mixed-use income producing and development projects, working with private and public sector parties, as well as single and multi-family residential properties, including condominium and common interest communities.
Representative Matters include,
- representation of developers and borrowers in commercial real estate acquisition, development, construction and permanent loans;
- representation of developers in governmental land use, zoning and development matters, including subdivision agreements, public improvements agreements, annexation and pre-annexation agreements, and economic incentive agreements;
- representation of landlords and tenants in commercial lease transactions on office, retail, restaurant, hotel, shopping center and warehouse properties and vacant land;
- representation of landlords and tenants in commercial lease defaults;
- representation of property owners and developers in environmental matters;
- representation of real estate brokerage firms and real estate brokers in operational and compliance matters, including Colorado Designated Brokerage Relationship Laws and Colorado Real Estate Licensing Laws.
- preparation of limited liability company operating agreements, shareholder buy-sell agreements, partnership agreements and corporate bylaws;
- preparation of easements, declarations of covenants, conditions and restrictions, and reciprocal easement agreements; and
- representation of lenders and receivers in loan default, work-out, foreclosure and receivership matters.
Mrs. Abrahams' experience and insight includes the representation of a variety of clients and interests in the private practice of law together with her years of experience as in-house general counsel and senior vice president of an affiliated group of real estate development, brokerage, and management companies.
Representative of some of the transactions in which Mrs. Abrahams acted as lead counsel in the area of commercial real estate acquisitions, development, and financing include: acquisition, development, leasing and sale of single tenant (NNN) retail pads throughout Colorado and the Rocky Mountain Region; acquisition of build-to-suit facility at Crossroads Commerce Park in Adams County, Colorado; acquisition and financing of multi-tenant office buildings and mutli-family apartment projects throughout the greater metropolitan Denver area; acquisition of approximately 1,000 acres of beach front property in Marmol, State of Sinaloa, Mexico; acquisition, financing, development and leasing of King Soopers anchored grocery centers (with in-line retail and multiple pad sites) in Golden, Colorado and Brighton, Colorado; acquisition, financing, development, leasing and sale of 100,000 square foot commercial project at 2nd & Josephine in Cherry Creek North (Denver), Colorado; acquisition, financing, development, and leasing of multi-phase retail center located on Arapahoe Road and Peoria Street, Centennial, Colorado; acquisition, financing, development, environmental remediation, and ground leasing of multi-plex movie theatre complex in Arvada, Colorado.
In the area of business entities, Mrs. Abrahams has formed, negotiated and drafted entity documents, inclusive of shareholder agreements, buy-sell agreements, corporate bylaws, limited liability operating agreements, and asset purchase and sale agreements for a variety of business ventures.
In the real estate brokerage field, Mrs. Abrahams successfully completed the required course work for a Colorado real estate license, although she does not hold such license (since she is exempt as a Colorado licensed attorney). She has lectured and provided training seminars on designated brokerage laws, real estate licensing laws, mandatory office policy statements, and on standard of care issues to a number of Colorado real estate brokerage companies including Frederick Ross Company, Grubb & Ellis, SullivanHayes Brokerage, and Dunton Commercial. While serving as Senior Vice President and General Counsel at SullivanHayes Brokerage, Mrs. Abrahams provided day-to-day guidance and supervision on compliance issues, preparation and use of the Real Estate Commission approved listing, contract and disclosure forms, implemented and managed tracking procedures, drafted mandatory office policy statements and coordinated and supervised litigation matters.
Professional Experience and Education includes,
- Admitted to the Colorado Bar in 1983
- Rated AV® Preeminent 5.0 out of 5 by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized as a "2013 Top Rated Lawyer" by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell.
- Designated for inclusion as a "Colorado Super Lawyer" 2014-2016
- University of Denver School of Law, J.D., 1983
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.A. (Psychology), 1979
- Shareholder, Associate and Law Clerk, Atler, Zall and Haligman, P.C. (n/k/a Lottner, Rubin, Fishman, Brown + Saul, P.C.), 1981 - 1994
- Special Counsel, Popham Haik Schnobrich & Kaufman, P.C., 1994 - 1995
- Senior Vice President and General Counsel, SullivanHayes Brokerage Corp.,
SH Realty Partners, Inc. and Sullivan Group, Inc., 1995 - 2008
- Of Counsel, Springer and Steinberg, P.C., 2008 - 2010
- Shareholder, Sweetbaum Sands Anderson PC, 2010 - Present
Memberships, Lectures, Seminars and Professional Activities (past and present) include,
- Speaker/presenter at International Council of Shopping Centers Law Conference
- Co-organizer and co-Chairperson of First Annual Forum on Denver's Response to the Americans' With Disabilities Act sponsored by the University of Phoenix
- Member ICSC, Colorado Real Estate Women, Building Owners and Managers Association, Apartment Association of Metro Denver, Director and Member of Community Associations Institute (Rocky Mountain Chapter), Colorado Mortgage Bankers Association, American Bar Association, Colorado Bar Association, Denver Bar Association.
- Speaker/Lecturer on 2003 Colorado Real Estate Designated Brokerage Laws, 1994 Colorado Real Estate Agency and Brokerage Laws, the Americans' With Disabilities Act, and Sexual Harassment and Discrimination in the workplace.
- Has been appointed as a Commissioner in condemnation cases in the Denver District Court.
- Participant (Guest Teacher) in the Denver Bar Association Guest Substitute Teacher Initiative in Denver Public Schools.
- Has been retained as an expert witness (or collaborated on analysis and preparation of expert witness reports) in cases involving real estate brokerage licensing and designated brokerage laws, the standards of care required on real estate brokerage matters, the Colorado Common Interest Ownership Act ("CCIOA"), and the impact of deeds in lieu (deeds in aid) of foreclosure on applicability of local transfer tax, including:
- Ian Mullin vs. Hyatt Residential Group, Inc. et al., U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, Civil Action No. 13-CV-02348. Expert Report Issued April, 2014.
- The Prado Condominium Association, Inc. v. Wendy E. Weigler, et al., Denver County District Court, Case No. 2010CV3323. Collaborated with Alan D. Sweetbaum on analysis and preparation of expert report April, 2011
- Aspen at Streamside Condominium Association vs. Highland P.U.D. Association, Eagle County District Court, Case No. 2010CV62. Collaborated with Alan D. Sweetbaum on analysis and preparation of expert report November, 2010.
- Jerome Ventures, LLC and Jerome Property, LLC v. The City of Aspen, Pitkin County District Court, Case No. 10CV293. Expert Opinion, May, 2009.
- Michael and Anette Hogan vs. George and Olga George, et al., Jefferson County District Court, Case No. 07CV6520. Expert Opinion, Deposition testimony and Trial Testimony November, 2008- February, 2009.
- Authored Chapter Materials and lectured on "Essential Legal Elements" for National Business Institute's Continuing Legal Education Seminar titled "Business Contracts A to Z" presented December 13, 2011 in Denver, Colorado.
- Authored Chapter Materials and lectured on "Essential Legal Elements" for National Business Institute's Continuing Legal Education Seminar titled "Business Contracts A to Z" presented December 12, 2013 in Denver, Colorado.
- Authored Chapter Materials and lectured at 33rd Annual Real Estate Symposium for Colorado Bar Association Real Estate Section and CLE in Colorado, Inc. presented July 17, 2015 in Steamboat Springs, Colorado